The Volunteer has been a pub since at least 1703, then thought to have been named the New Inn. The present name was given in the mid 19th century when the pub was used as the signing on place for the Crimean War and later the Boer War.
The Volunteer was Gloucestershire CAMRA pub of the year in 1998. The real ales benefit from being kept in the only underground pub cellar in the town.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Owner in 1891: Richard Griffin (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £15.13s.4d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Flowers & Sons, Stratford on Avon
Rateable value in 1903: £15.13s.4d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Volunteer Inn include:
1885,1891 Richard Griffin
1902 Charles Aston
1903,1919 Thomas Malins
1927 Christopher Rathbone
1985,1999 Hilary and Paul Sinclair