4 Henrietta Street in 1891 Cheltenham Post Office Directory. There is also a reference to a Butchers Arms at 4 Henrietta Street (date unrecorded).

Alfred H. Taylor is recorded as the owner of the Three Horseshoes in 1891 and the leasehold was taken by the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The Three Horseshoes was a licensed beer house and had an annual rateable value of £16.0s.0d. remaining at the same value for the next twelve years. In 1903, however, the owner is documented as the Corpus Christi College (presumably of Oxford). The Cheltenham Brewery overlooked Henrietta Street so deliveries of beer could, in theory, be done by simply rolling casks over the road. They still held the leasehold in 1903.

The approximate location of the Three Horseshoes. Viewed from the Brewery Quarter.

Landlords of the Three Horseshoes include:

1878 George Burrell

1883 A.H. Morris

1885 Benjamin Griffen

1891 Alfred Henry Humphries

1903 William Woodward

Share this Page: