The Royal Oak is a 300 year old listed building. The 1856 reference is simply The Oak, South Cerney.
When excavations were being made in 1997 to lay pipes for a new cellar human remains were found which necessitated a police enquiry. A Cotswold stone extension for a new restaurant was opened in time for Christmas 1999.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: SU 045968
Owner in 1891: E. William Cripps, Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £10.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: F.W.B. Cripps, Esq., Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1999: Alehouse Properties
Owner in 2005: Punch Taverns
Landlords at the Royal Oak include:
1856 W. Short (Oak, South Cerney)
1885,1906 William Jasper Millard (William Millard in 1885)
1913 Mr A.E. Cleavely
1919,1927 William John Bird
1939 Ernest H. Brown
1991,1999 Steve and Deena Greenhough
2008 Nick Mann