The New Inn, on the sweeping ox-bow bend of the River Severn to the west of Arlingham, is more familiar as the Old Passage Inn. Newnham on Severn is a few hundred yards away on the other side of the river. In 1891 and 1903 it was owned by the wealthy Holford family of Westonbirt estate. (see Hare & Hounds, Westonbirt). The pub became known as the Old Passage Inn in 1953.
Advertisement: Citizen. Monday 21st January, 1985. A New Look for the Old Passage Inn, Arlingham. Jan and Graham Pockett, and their daughter and son-in-law, Jane and Mick Feegrade, have recently bought the Old Passage Inn at Arlingham. They formerly ran a pub in Hillingdon, Middlesex, for eight and a half years. The Old Passage Inn is situated on the River Severn opposite Newnham and the Forest of Dean and sells a wide variety of ales.
Since moving to the pub in November last year, the new owners have made a start on the exterior decoration, and there are plans to refurbish the main bar in the near future. The restaurant, with seating for 28, re-opens tomorrow with an a ‘la carte menu, presented by the chef, who was formerly head chef at one of the best hotels in the area.
The new owners are in the process of making alterations to the garden. This will include a children’s play are for the spring and summer.
Jan, Graham, Jane and Mick look forward to meeting you in the near future.
The Old Passage closed in July 1999. It was feared that the pub might be converted to a private house but it was reopened as a restaurant in July 2000. The Old Passage now specialises in fish and shellfish recipes. The Old Passage was awarded the title of Seafood Pub of the Year by the AA in 2004. Cornish native lobsters served with a salad and side dish are the pieces of resistance at the Old Passage – and a whole lobster will cost you in the region of £32.
Map Reference: SO 696113
Rateable Value in 1891: £22.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Robert Stayner Holford Esq. (leased to Arnold Perrett & Co., Wickwar Brewery)
Rateable Value in 1903: £10.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: George L. Holford., Esq. (leased to Arnold Perrett & Co., Wickwar Brewery)
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Landlords at the New Inn / Old Passage Inn include:
1856 S. Hayward (Jnr.)
1885 Samuel Hayward
1891 John Dee
1902,1906 Frederick Burroughs
1919 Bertram King
1939 Ronald Geo. Prout
1960’s Pauline Phillips
1984 Stuart Jones
1984 (November) Jan and Graham Pockett, and their daughter and son-in-law, Jane and Mick Feegrade
1998 Mike Hargreaves
2002 Josephine (Jo) Moore