The New Inn was a superb black and white panelled timbered ancient building in Newent High Street. It is now a private house called Linkwood Cottage.
James Cook (senior) owned the New Inn in 1891 and 1903 when it was free from brewery tie and had an annual rateable value of £14.0s.0d. James Cook was the occupier. It is not known if the landlord was James Cook (senior), or his son. The New Inn was licensed as a beer house and closed each night at 11 pm.
In the 1901 Census C.J. Cooke is listed as a Billposter at the New Inn. An old photograph taken c.1911 shows the inn sign displaying T.E. Thomas as the landlord.
In November 1985 the property was on the market with an asking price at just under £43,000. It was described as a recently modernised Tudor style period cottage. Noent House, High Street. ‘The restoration work has provided all the comforts of a modern home without losing the charm of the old exposed timbering, bay window seat, etc.
1880 Charles James Cook