The Kings Head was located on the north side of Barton Street with rear access backing onto East Street to the rear. During the 19th century the Kings Head advertised in local newspapers as being the starting point for carriers to Winchcombe and further destinations.

In the early 1970’s an adjoining property was purchased and the pub was enlarged. At this time the central entrance was blocked and replaced by a matching window – the front door was moved to the far left of the Kings Head.

The Citizen, 18th December 1980 – Fatal fall in pub: Retired Tewkesbury builder, Mr Sidney Heath died after falling down a steep flight of stairs at a pub in the town, an inquest at Bristol was told. Mr Heath (66) of Ashchurch Road, Tewkesbury, was attending a social evening for local police and their friends in a room above the bar of the Kings Head public house in Barton Street, Tewkesbury.

The coroner, Mr Donald Hawkins said: “Mr Heath was descending the stairs when one of the steps fractured causing him to fall and sustain head injuries.” He recorded a verdict of accidental death.

The name of the pub was changed to the King Charles Inn early in 1999. The pub closed in July 2001, then reopened briefly, only to close down again in 2003. After another lengthy period of closure it was in business again in 2005. A proposal to convert the Kings Head into a restaurant never materialized. Last orders finally came in April 2006 when the owners sold the pub to property developer Peter Cane of PSC Renovations. In December 2006 a proposal to convert the Kings Head into five homes was approved by Tewkesbury Borough Council.

Map Reference: SO 896326

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Tewkesbury Brewery

Rateable value in 1891: £47.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903:  Arnold Perrett & Co. Ltd., Wickwar Brewery

Rateable value in 1903: £52.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Kings Head / King Charles include:

1774-1779 Samuel Jeynes

1779-1792 Elizabeth Jeynes (widow)

1792-1797 John Brown

1815 John Shaw

1820,1822 Michael Bryant

1830 Josiah Serman

1838,1854 George Tovey

1856,1868 Mrs A. Tovey (widow)

1877,1881 T. Colsey

1885 Henry Cowles

1888 Mrs A. Panting

1888-1903 Abigail Pullin (widow)

1903-1916 John Pullin

1916-1920 George Harry Davies

1920-1949 Harry Davies

1949-1964 Frederick Bainbridge

1964-1966 Arthur Burton

1966 A.J. Davey

1998 Wendy Bolton (tenant landlady)

1998 Raymond Bird (owner and joint licensee. Kings Head)

1999-2000 Robin and Sarah Jones (King Charles Inn)

2001 (March)  Philip Cottrill (landlord, King Charles Inn)

2001 (Dec) Cheryl Warner and Graham Preedy

2001 Frank Bird and Ian Murray (joint owners, King Charles Inn)

2006 Graham Thornton and Nathan Beauchamp (owners)

Share this Page: