The Horse and Groom was purchased by the Cirencester Brewery with ‘land in Cricklade Road adjoining’ on 25th March 1919.
The 18th century pub once stood on the busy A417 Cirencester to Swindon road but the Cirencester bypass constructed in 1997 left it isolated. Trade plummeted and the owner claimed that business had decreased by 80%. A 12 bedroom motel was built on the site of a barn at the back of the pub in an attempt to gain custom. However, permission was granted to convert the pub and adjoining motel into residential use in the summer of 2004.
Map Reference: SU 068982
Owner in 1891: E. William Cripps, Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £29.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: F.W.B. Cripps, Esq., Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £14.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Owner in 1919: Cirencester Brewery
Landlords at the Horse & Groom include:
1856 J. Pollard
1885 Henry Weeks
1891 George Weeks
1902,1927 Alfred George Beard
1997,2002 Ernie Lucker