Maugersbury is a small hamlet half a mile to the south-east of Stow on the Wold. The Farmers Arms is actually outside Maugersbury in an isolated position at the foot of Stow Hill. Maugersbury is the nearest settlement. The Farmers Arms is on the junction with the Fosse Way and the A424 road to Burford.
When the railway line was built from Cheltenham via Andoversford to Kingham junction the Farmers Arms was conveniently placed near Stow on the Wold railway station.
The premises have been massively enlarged in recent years and the pub is now a hotel with 17 bedrooms. It was known as the Farmers Lodge Hotel, and then briefly as the Farmers Arms. owned by the Dartmouth based Philip Leisure Group. It was then called the Roman Court Hotel and was essentially an Italian restaurant.
In March 2007 it was on the market for £1,975,000.
In May 2007 it was taken over by the Sudra family. After a period of closure and a quarter of a million pounds investment the premises opened in October as Per Amici.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Owner in 1891: Benjamin Matthews (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Edward Augustus Green, Stow Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £24.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903:
Landlords at the Farmers Arms, etc include:
1891 James Abel Holtam
1903 James Abel Holtham
1906 J. Smith (Farmers Inn)
1919 Thomas Williams
1927 Frederick William Cox
1939 Stanley Arthurs
1998 Paul Bonnett (operations manager, Farmers Lodge Hotel)
2001-2007 Vito Logozzi (Roman Court Hotel)
2007 (May) – Dipa, Bharti and Asha Sudra