The Eight Bells has had a long association with Arkell’s Brewery in Swindon. The Kingsdown Brewery supplied beer to the Eight Bells as long ago as 1891 and Arkell’s Ales are still served in the pub to this day.
The Railway Inn is a few yards away on the northern side of London Road.
Map Reference: SP 157009
Owner in 1891: Arkell & Son, Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1891: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Arkell & Son, Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon
Rateable Value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Eight Bells include:
1891 Charles Harrison
1903 Isaac Harris
1913 G. Berry
1939 Ernest Albert John Berry
1997 Peter and Jennifer Gill
1998 Peter Mortley
2001 (Sept),2002 Steven How and Karen Winstone
2003 (June) Andy and Jenny Kirk
2004 Oliver and Sheila Cleary (previously at the Plough Inn, London Road)