Little is known about the Derby & Stafford Arms. It is listed in 1878 and 1883 directories with James Smith as landlord. Similarly, the address of Lower Alstone is a little vague. The only clue are the cities of Derby and Stafford which might be an association with the Midland Railway that served these cities. The Midland Railway station at Lansdown opened on 24th June 1840 and was later renamed Cheltenham Spa Lansdown. The Midland Hotel and Midland Inn were in close proximity to the station. Where was the Derby & Stafford Arms located?
Lower Alstone Mill was located at the bottom of Arle Avenue. There was a cluster of buildings here that were demolished when flood defence work took place on the River Chelt in 2006. This might have been the location of the Derby & Stafford Arms, but some distance from the Railway. There are no references to the premises after 1883 and the pub is not mentioned in the 1891 licensing book.
1844 Henry Rattenbury (beer house, Lower Alstone)