The tri-gabled Cotswold stone Crown Inn dates back to 1693. It was originally called the Angel.
The Crown Inn was the starting point of the historic Woolsack Races held at Whitsuntide every year when participants carry 60lb or 30lb wool sacks on their backs downhill from the Crown Inn to the Royal Oak – a distance of 225 metres. The return journey up the hill is considerably more demanding!
The Crown has now permanently closed.
Owner in 1891: Messrs N. & W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £13.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Messrs N. & W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Crown include:
1856 W. Lock
1885 William Lock
1891 E. T. Mann
1903 Ernest William Mann
1906 Ernest Mann
1913 E.W. Mann
1919 Alfred Townsend
1927 Rt. Charles Plank
1939 Charles Edward Bowsher
1978 Alan and Pat Markham
1998 Nick Clarke