In 1936 the Coach and Horses was listed at 4 St. Catherine Street. The 16th century Coach and Horses is a half timbered building. An old photograph shows the pub when the timber frames were rendered over. At that time (date unknown) the landlord was Thomas Enstone.
When Tony Lewis took over the pub in July 1997 he heard strange noises and his children reported seeing ghosts. He was told by the regulars that the last landlady had only lasted six or seven months because she kept hearing a baby crying despite there being no children on the premises. Tony’s own children saw three boys running down the stairs wearing dungarees with straw sticking out of their pockets.
In 2005, the Coach & Horses was owned by Punch Taverns.
Landlords at the Coach & Horses include:
1830,1859 Thomas Jenkins
1879,1885 William H. Drinkwater
1893 W.J. Beard
1902 Mrs Ammeline Veale
1906,1919 Walter Jesse Beard
1927 Daul B. Bailey (sic)
1936 E.G. Yorke
1939 M.G.H. Smith
1957 Mrs V.M. Smith
1997 Tony Lewis (owned by Trent Taverns)
1998 Tom Kane (owned by Trent Taverns)
2006 Chris Marsh
2007 Mark Lloyd