It is probable that the Carlton Bar was named after the old Carlton Brewery off Hewlett Street (now Hewlett Road). The exact location of the Carlton Bar, however, is not yet known. It must have been very near to the Hewlett Inn.
There is no record of the Carlton Bar in 1891.
The Anglo-Bavarian Brewery of Shepton Mallet in Somerset owned the Carlton Bar in 1903 and George Capon was the occupying landlord. The beer house had an annual rateable value of £25.10s.0d.