47 Middle Street in 1919 directory.
The present Bisley House Inn was built c.1899 when the license was transferred from the adjoining property. The original pub was once known as the Sydney Arms. The annual rateable values illustrate the transfer of the licence.
Regulars at the Bisley House Inn raised £800 over a period of 10 months to buy a mobile resuscitation unit for Stroud General Hospital. The designated charity was given the money in February 1985.
It was acquired by Wadworth & Co. of Devizes in 1990, but is now run as a free house.
A West Country Ales ‘Best in the West’ Ceramic plaque is still in situ
Owner in 1891: Alfred Hyde (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £25.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Owner in 1990: Wadworth & Co., Devizes, Wiltshire
Landlords at the Bisley House include:
1856 J. Lane (Sydney Arms, Middle Street)
1891 Alfred Hyde
1902 Ebeneezer Mitchell
1903,1927 William Wallace Teakle
1947-1971 Arthur Leslie Fisher (he set up an ROAB ‘Buffaloes Lodge’ at the Bisley House)
1984 (April) Roger and Marilyn (Mal) Symms (moved to the Wheatsheaf, Old Bath Road, Cheltenham in December 1986)
2003 Andy Groves