Little is known about the Apple Tree Inn, but of interest is that it was owned by William Sadler-Hall of the Royal William in Cranham in 1891. The Cranham Brewery also owned the Crown and Cushion and Five Alls in Bath Road and the Gladstone Arms in Sherborne Street. In 1891 the annual rateable value of the Apple Tree was £17.0s.0d. and it was a licensed beer house. It is not mentioned in the 1903 petty sessional records. The Apple Tree eventually passed into the ownership of the Stroud Brewery and an inventory of property describes ‘the Apple Tree Inn with two cottages adjoining No’s 55 and 57 Russell Street, Cheltenham.’
The terraced properties of 55-57 Russell Street, facing the top of Russell Place, abut the boundary wall of Wickes DIY store. Presumably the Apple Tree Inn was demolished some years ago to facilitate the construction of commercial premises.
Ron and Freda Betteridge from Staverton celebrated their Diamond Wedding Anniversary on 8th February 2001. Ron also celebrated his 80th Birthday on the same day. Ron and Freda met at the Apple Tree Inn in Russell Place where he served behind the bar. Ron was also a full-back for Cheltenham Town FC for two seasons during the early 1950’s before transferring to Evesham United.
Landlords at the Apple Tree include:
1891,1901 Joseph Osborne Macey (married to Jane in 1901)