The Anchor was a simple brick built building which was part of a row of terraced houses. It was a tied house of the Stroud Brewery Company. The Anchor Inn is recorded at 44 Sweetbriar Street in 1936. The Anchor had successful darts and crib teams. The Anchor Inn was demolished some time after 1957 when it was sold to the County Borough of Gloucester for £1,350. Sweetbriar Street was in the area of Gloucester called Clapham, characterised by back-to-back houses.

Photographer unknown. Copied from Facebook.

Landlords at the Anchor Inn include:

1879 J. Lewis

1893 Mrs M.J. Duffy

1906 A.F. Duffy

1923, 1936 Mrs Annie Lane

1957 Victor Leslie Byard

Share this Page: