The White Hart, recorded from 1708, was on the north side of the cross. It was higher up the hill than the George Inn and Swan Inn on the south side of the High Street.
In June 1840 a previous resident of the White Hart, Mr Gingle, was reported to have cut his wife’s throat and his own in London. He was pronounced insane. The same month (June 5th) the landlord Davies‘was fined heavily for allowing a fight in his skittle alley.’
The White Hart, which had a large room for meetings and functions, seems to have closed in 1861. The Kings Head Inn was built on the site of the White Hart (see Kings Head Inn). The Police Station now stands on the site of the White Hart.
1830 Joseph Birt
1840 Mr Davies
1856 Mrs M. Davis