A photograph in Wilfred Merretts book ‘The Pubs of the Old Stroud Brewery’ shows the building in a very dilapidated state. The plaster rendering, unpainted for years, is crumbling away exposing large areas of stone. Some of the window panes in the gable end windows have broken and the White Hart appears generally run-down. It is not known when the photograph was taken but the landlord at the time was S.T.W. Furley and the pub advertises ‘Stroud Brewery Entire’.

Courtesy Nailsworth Town Archives

The White Swan was referred to the compensation authority c.1922 and presumably closed soon after. Despite the poor condition of the pub, the White Hart and the Crown Hotel on the other side of the High Street had identical rateable values. The building was converted into a shop at ground floor level (Hampton House and Cats Whiskers). However, the entire building is now residential.

Map Reference: SO 873007

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Mrs John Ralph (leased Stroud Brewery)

Rateable value in 1891: £15.5s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Mrs John Ralph (leased Stroud Brewery)

Rateable value in 1903: £15.5s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Full

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Landlords at the White Hart include:

1842 Joseph Ralph

1856 T. Ford

1863 Thomas Price

1874 Richard Tranter

1885 Charlotte Grant (Miss)

1891 Edward Brown

1902,1903 Henry Ralph Browning

1906 William Neighbour   

? Mr. S.T.W. Furley

1919 William Smith

Share this Page: