In 1809 the pub is referred to as the Dial Inn. The Gloucester ‘Citizen’ reported on 12th March 1906 that it had ‘a bar, but no other public room. There was another room which was marked private and which anyone wanting another room was shown into. There were two other licensed houses within 120 yards and three public houses altogether in the square. The Sun Dial was very nice and kept very clean and in good order.’ It was a tied house of the Stroud Brewery Company.
There was also a Dial Inn in Southgate Street.
Landlords at the Sun Dial Inn include:
1830 Jos. Cotton
1856 J. Knight
1885 George Wanklin
1893 (Dial Inn, St Marys Square)
1902 Richard Francis Bishop
1906 Miss Emma Aylward