The Spa Inn was once an isolated ‘country’ pub in Oldends Lane half a mile to the east of Stonehouse, selling beer from Smith’s Brimscombe Brewery. In 1903 the pub called ‘last orders’ at 10 pm – there must have been a mass migration to the pubs in the town that stayed open an hour longer.

An inventory of the property owned by the Stroud Brewery Company in 1928 listed the Spa Inn with ‘orchard and 9 cottages at Oldends.’ In the 1970’s it was a nondescript Whitbread pub.

In the summer of 2006 the Spa Inn was extensively modernised by owners Wadworth of Devizes.

It was acquired by Wadworth of Devizes in 1991 and in 2006 had a major refurbishment.  However despite the significant investment the Spa Inn has since closed.

April 2009. The refurbished Spa Inn in the shadow of the Oldens Industrial Estate.

This page will be updated with additional information.

Licensing Details:

Rateable Value in 1891: £13.10s.0d.

Owner in 1891: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Rateable Value in 1903: £18.10s.0d.

Owner in 1903: Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903: 10pm

Owner in 1919,1928: Stroud Brewery Company

Landlords at the Spa Inn include:

1891 Edward Uzzell

1903 Henry Clayfield

1939 Frederick John Baker

1951-1961Reginald and Gwen Reynolds (moved to the Globe Inn)

2001,2004 Peter and Barbara Hunniford

Share this Page: