The Somerset Arms in Moorend Street is located just off the Shurdington Road.
Charles Buswell was the owner of the Somerset Arms in 1891. It was a licensed beer house and trading free from brewery tie. The annual rateable value in 1891 was £21.5s.0d. By the beginning of the Edwardian era the Somerset Arms had been acquired by Godsell’s & Sons, brewing at Salmon Springs just to the north of Stroud. In 1903 the annual rateable value had increased by two pounds and ten shillings to £23.15s.0d.
For many years the pub was run by Geoff and Ann Ratcliffe, who was a well-known landlord and the chairman of the Cheltenham Innkeepers Association. Geoff and Ann won third place in the best pub/hotel section of the national Garden News Gardener of the Year competition.
A West Country Ales ceramic plaque is still inlaid into the wall.
Landlords at the Somerset Arms include:
1870 William Phillips
1878 James Price
1883 S. Phelps
1891 John Charles Griffets
1903 Henry John Granville
1926 Peter Barnfield
1939 Hubert Daniels
1984, Geoff and Ann Ratcliffe