The Ship Inn was situated alongside the River Frome ‘at the corner of the Wallbridge basin nearest the road.’ The Ship would have been close to Watts Stroud Brewery. In the 1891 sessions it is listed under the parish of Painswick and in 1903 under the parish of Uplands.
The Ship Inn closed on March 9th 1915, presumably because the license had been refused as “the house had been ill conducted”.
Owner in 1891: Stroudwater Navigation Company (leased Stroud Brewery)
Rateable value in 1891: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Stroudwater Navigation Company (leased Smith & Sons, Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable value in 1903: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Ship Inn include:
1856 W. Knee (Ship Inn, parish of Painswick)
1885 Thomas Brown
1891 Thomas Jos. Lucas
1902,1906 John Lee