Elmore Back is on the southern bank of the River Severn opposite Minsterworth church. It is about two miles from Elmore. The Salmon closed in 1941. Vera Smith of Elmore Back, the stepdaughter of Mr Wellington (who kept the inn as tenant until closure), remembered that the Salmon had a sitting room, a bar and a skittle alley. She said that it was also a favourite watering hole for crews of the river boats on the River Severn. Mr Wellington also operated a small ferry boat across the river to Minsterworth, which left from the bottom of the steps in the river bank beside the pub.
When the River Severn froze in January 1940 the ice was thick enough for the people of Minsterworth to walk across the river to the Salmon Inn at Elmore Back. Christmas Day 1939 brought a sharp frost, and between then and February 18th, 1940, there was frost on 49 days or night. On the night of January 21st the temperature was a chilly minus 17 degrees Celsius. Six days later on January 27th the night brought freezing rain which encased telegraph wires with ice and trees were weighted down with glazed frost.
Map Reference: SO 771168
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Henry Greening (free from brewery tie)
Rateable Value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Henry Greening (free from brewery tie)
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Landlords at the Salmon Inn include:
1885 ,1906 Wintour Phelps
1919 Elizabeth Phelps
1927 Thomas Bayliss
1936 A. Booth
1939 Walter Wellington