In 1912 the address of the Rose & Crown is given as the Knapp, Hare Lane. 76 Hare Lane in 1936 reference.
The Rose & Crown was almost under the railway bridge that carries the Gloucester to South Wales line. The brick built building is still reverberating to heavy freight trains passing almost overhead. However, it has been closed as a pub for a long time. The metal bracket that once held the pub sign is still there.
The Coach and Horses is a few yards away in St. Catherine Street.
Landlords at the Rose & Crown include:
1879,1881 Henry Edwards
1884 H. Hopton
1893 A. Gardner
1901 A Gardiner
1902 Anthony Gardner (Rose and Crown, Worcester Street)
1906 A. Gardner
1912 Mary Parry (Rose and Crown, The Knapp, Hare Lane)
1914 Mary Barnett
1914,1917 Sam Jones (moved to the Bell Inn by Barton Gates)
1918 Fred and Alice Kibby (Alice was the eldest daughter of Sam Jones).
1920 Mrs Alice Kibby (Alice went to the Laburnham on the corner of Tredworth High Street)
c.1926 Sam Jones Jnr (son of Sam Jones)
1927,1936 W.K. Brazil