The Riverside was originally a wool store strategically built on the banks of the River Thames. Cargo boats transported the wool from Lechlade along the Thames to London. When the trade disappeared leisure boats replaced goods traffic on the river. The building was bought by the Lloyd family in 1959 and it was turned into a café. A license was applied for to sell alcohol in the 1960’s and the building developed into the restaurant / pub. The Riverside was taken over by Arkell’s of Swindon in April 2008.
Map Reference: SU 214994
2008 Roger White