B. Linnell in his book ‘Public Houses of Tewkesbury Borough’ (1972) writes:

“The observer should imagine a pillared, palm-flanked doorway to the left of the extreme left hand ground floor window of the (Royal) Hop Pole Hotel. This was the entrance to the Riverside Hotel until 1932 or thereabouts, when it was once more incorporated into the Hop Pole. From 1845 until 1914 it had enjoyed a separate existence as a private residence, occupied for almost forty years by Mr & Mrs Frederick Moore. In 1914 Harry Charles left the Bell Hotel and re-opened the Riverside as an hotel. The owner of the Hop Pole acquired it in 1924, the effective date of its separate existences termination. It appears to have been a tee-total establishment.”

Sierra Exif JPEG
Share this Page: