The Rifleman’s Arms stood on the eastern corner of the road to Whitecroft on the junction of Hill Street and Newerne Street.
The licensing details of the Rifleman’s Arms and the Railway Inn are identical. Both were beer houses and had annual rateable values of £24.0s.0d. in the years 1891 and 1903. Charles Garton & Co of Bristol owned the Rifleman’s and Railway Inn in 1891 of which all their pubs were transferred to the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery of Shepton Mallet, Somerset by 1903. Closing time at the Rifleman’s Arms was at 11 pm.
The Lydney Picture House adjoining the Rifleman’s Arms opened in 1913. By that time the Rifleman’s was probably selling beer from the Cheltenham Original Brewery. An early photograph of the Picture House shows Cheltenham Ales signage at the pub. The cinema had a 20 feet wide proscenium – the part of the stage in front of the curtain. No doubt the Rifleman’s Arms was a convenient place for a pint for cinema goers either before or after their film had been screened.
In September 1932 it was reported that trouble at the Rifleman’s Arms during the weekends were mostly attributed to Welsh Charabanc parties. The reason why the Welsh day outings were the cause of concern is not documented.
The Lydney Picture House closed in 1964. In October 1965 the Rifleman’s Arms also closed. Both the cinema and pub were demolished in November 1966 and the small parade of shops and residential units known as Forest Parade was built on the site.
Landlords at the Rifleman’s Arms include:
1881 Sarah Arman (aged 66)
1891 John Hill
1903 William Jones
1939 William Organ