This page is an archive post and requires updating. It now trades as the Bottle of Sauce and had a previous incarnation as Quaich. It is owned by Arkell’s Kingsdown Brewery in Swindon.
The Railway Hotel was named because of its proximity to the Great Western Railway Cheltenham Spa Station (St. James) in nearby St. James Square. In 1870 and 1878 references the premises is called the Railway Tavern. The name was changed to the St. James Hotel. It was acquired by Arkell’s Kingsdown Brewery, Swindon, in 1991.
Stroud Brewery were the owners of the Railway Hotel in 1891 and 1903. Classified as an ale house the annual rateable value doubled in value during those twelve years. From £51.0s.0d. in 1891 to £102.0s.0d. in 1903. Perhaps the building was extended or significantly altered.
There is a West Country Ales ‘Best in the West’ ceramic plaque still in situ.
Landlords at the Railway Hotel / St. James’ Hotel include:
1859 Hannah Turner
1870 Samuel Barnett (Railway Tavern)
1878 Samuel B. Hill (Railway Tavern)
1883 H.A. Wright
1885, 1891 Charles Humpnell (Charles Hupnell in 1885)
1903 Samuel William Barsby
1919 Arthur Preese
1927 Mrs Mabel Hall
1939 Frederick Hunt
1992 Bob and Jackie Kitchen
1998,1999 Trevor Johnson
2002 (August-December) Rene Blamey, Dan Chambers and Robert Knight
2003,2008 Graham and Denise Townley