George Harwood was the owner of the Queens Head in 1891. It was a free house and had an annual rateable of £22.10s.0d. In 1903 the Gloucestershire licensing book states that the Queens Head beer house was owned by Charles Garton & Co., who were brewers based in Lawrence Hill, Bristol. This must have been a mistake by the enumerator as Garton & Co. had been acquired by the Somerset based Anglo-Bavarian Brewery five years earlier in 1898. The Queens Head probably sold the ‘Famous Anglo-Bavarian Amber Ale’, which was light in colour and had the characteristics of a lager style beer – a forerunner of today’s popular ‘Golden Ales’.
The Queens Head closed on 20th April 1927 – by that time the beers were probably supplied from the Cheltenham Original Brewery Company. The Queens Head is now divided into two houses, one of which, apparently, still has an old skittle alley attached to it.
Landlords at the Queens Head include:
1891 Leonard Jones
1901,1902 Samuel Simmons (beer retailer in 1902)
? Fred Brain (Note: see GRO ref: D2308 1/5)
1903 Samuel Simmonds
1915 Henry Wintle
? John S. Wintle
1927 Raymond Smith