Brains Green is a hamlet about one mile to the north of Blakeney on the Cinderford Road which leads to Soudley and the Dean Heritage Museum. The precise location of the un-named beer house is not known, but it might have had an attractive aspect with views down towards the River Severn.
The Forest of Dean Mercury newspaper reported on the 27th August 1897 that Henry Playsted, landlord of an off-beer house in Brains Green, Blakeney, had been caught selling intoxicating liquor for consumption on the premises contravening his license – an off-licence designated for alcohol only to be consumed at home… a ‘Jug and Bottle’ licensed shop. Furthermore, the men who purchased and consumed the liquor were found by the police to be “in a helpless state of inebriation”. But cross-examined P.C. Bick said to the justices that he had watched the place for half an hour during which time no one came in or went out. But entering the premises he found four men in an old building – ‘two of whom were very drunk’ – and in the kitchen was a fifth man, also drinking. It was pointed out by the justices that Mr Playsted had kept his house for 14 years and after deliberating it was decided that the license of the un-named licensed house should be renewed.
The annual rateable value of the premises was £12.10s.0d. and there was no brewery tie. The ‘off sales’ beer house closed at 10 pm in 1906. Henry Playsted, owner and occupier in 1891, may have transferred the license to his son as Arthur Playsted is recorded as owner / occupier twelve years later in 1903.