The Portcullis changed its name to the Major’s Retreat to avoid confusion with the Portcullis Inn in nearby Chipping Sodbury. The pub has an oak panelled main function room which can seat 45 persons.
At the time of writing in June 2022 the Majors Retreat is closed. The current owners of The Major’s Retreat at Tormarton retired in February 2022 and the freehold of the detached stone-built pub was up for sale for the first time in 27 years.
Map reference: ST 768788
Owner in 1891: Duke of Beaufort (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £13.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Duke of Beaufort (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £22.19s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1856 Mrs M. Gale
1885,1891 George Reed
1902,1919 Edwin Huff
1927 Lewis Long
1997 Roy Godden