In 1864 the Old Pilot Inn is recorded as being owned by the City Brewery (R&B Bailey, Quay Street) and was offered for auction on 17th November 1894. It became a tied house of R.W. Miller of Bristol.
The Old Pilot, on the corner of St Lukes Street, was referred to compensation authority on 8th March 1909 as ‘not required to meet the wants of the neighbourhood’.
The Old Pilot was on the western side of Southgate Street between the present day Baker Street pub (Hauliers Arms) and the Nelson Inn. The Leopard Inn, a few yards away from the Old Pilot Inn, survived a similar recommendation for closure.
Landlords at the Old Pilot include:
1856,1859 James Gainey (Pilot Inn, High Orchard)
1870 George Jones
1870 Stephen Holder
1879 C.E Few
1881 Susannah Holland (The 1881 census give details as “Publican, Archetect (sic) wife”)
1885 William Greening
1902,1906 James Berry
1907 W. Bird