There is an old photograph of the Old Elm Tree taken at the turn of the last century which shows a horse and trap outside the pub. There is a sign which reads: ‘The Old Elm Tree. William Gilder. Licensed to sell beer and cider drank on the premises. Dealer in tobacco.” The whitewashed building is shown to be  facing Church Road. The pub was rebuilt, possibly by the Cheltenham Original Brewery. The new brick built building had an entrance to the side of Church Road.

After closure in 1960 the pub was converted to the Elm Tree Youth centre but this has also closed down. There is nothing visible on the building to suggest that it was once a pub.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: William Wilcox (free from brewery tie)

Rateable value in 1891: £19.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse

Owner in 1903: Sarah Wilcox (leased Cheltenham Original Brewery)

Rateable value in 1903: £22.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse

Closing time in 1903:

Landlords at the Old Elm Tree include:

1891 William Gilder

1903 James Witts

1939 Ethel Chandler

Share this Page: