40 Lower Street in 1939 directory.
Photographs show the New Inn to be a rather austere building with only a wooden brewery sign to indicate it being a pub. For many years the New Inn was the headquarters of the Stroud Angling Club. Landlord Charles Peyton was the vice president of the club. The building is now privately owned and called ‘The Old Pub’.
Whitbread Flowers decided to review the viability of the New Inn in October 1974 after tenants Jack and Betty Ray decided to leave the pub trade. Betty told the Citizen: “We have only taken four days holiday during the 13 years we have been here. We are leaving the pub to enjoy more of life before we get too old.”
Owner in 1891: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £13.10s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Stroud Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £16.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the New Inn include:
1891,1903 George Powell
1907 Arthur Seabourne
1939 James Johnston Morgan
? Charles Peyton
1961-1974 Jack & Betty Ray