The New Inn was located on the north-eastern corner of the junction of the High Street and Trinity Street. (directly opposite the Britannia on the western side of the High Street).
The New Inn was probably Godsell & Sons of Stroud most northerly tied house. When the Stroud Brewery Company acquired their rivals Godsell’s in 1928 it seems that the New Inn was no longer operating as a public house. The last tenant, William Booth, purchased the property for a sum of £250 and ran a green grocers shop until World War II. It later became a Coffee Tavern. The building was purchased by property developers c.1970.
Map Reference: SO 893327
Owner in 1891: Francis Jellyman (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £20.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (beer and cider licence)
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the New Inn include:
1869 Richard Collins
1886 Francis Jelleyman
1889-1891 George Newman
1891 Francis Jellyman
1897,1899 John Robert Black
1899-1901 Thomas Hind
1901 J.R. Back
1901-1904 George Newman
1904-1905 Catherine Crisp
1905-1913 Catherine Storey
1913-1917 William Booth