The licensing books of 1891 and 1903 refer to the Admiral Nelson, which was listed within the parish of Minchinhampton.
The Nelson is just up the hill from Brimscombe Mill. It originally sold beer from Smith’s Brimscombe Brewery but Stroud Brewery later acquired the inn.
On the side of the Cotswold stone building an old painted sign can still be seen in ghost lettering which reads: ‘The Nelson Inn. Stroud Brewery Ales & Stout’. The Nelson was referred to the Compensation Authority c1922. The building is now used by the Nelson House Recovery Trust which helps people to conquer addiction problems.
Map Reference: SO 868019
Rateable Value 1891: £9.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1891: Mrs Millwaters (leased to Charles Smith, Brimscombe Brewery)
Rateable Value 1903: £9.5s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Charles Smith & Son, Brimscombe Brewery
Closing time in 1903: 10 pm
Landlords at the Nelson Inn include:
1830 Thomas Ridler (Nelson, Brimscombe Port)
1856 C. Freeman
1885 Geo. Matthews Whale
1891 Henry Chambers (pub listed as Admiral Nelson, Minchinhampton)
1902 Charles Lewis
1903 John Edward Gifford (pub listed as Admiral Nelson, Minchinhampton)
1906 William Powis
1919 Albert Aldridge