The Mountpleasant area of Winchcombe Street was between the now closed Odeon Cinema and Fairview Road. The Mount Pleasant Inn once brewed its own beer and was referred to as the Mount Pleasant Brewery between 1878 and 1903. It is likely that brewing had stopped before 1891 when it had been acquired by Charles Garton of Bristol.
Licensed as a beer house it had an annual rateable value of £34.0s.0d. The Anglo-Bavarian Brewery of Shepton Mallet acquired the business of Garton & Co, in 1898 and the Mount Pleasant was included in the sale. In 1903 the annual rateable value had increased by one pound and ten shillings to £35.10s.0d.
No application was received to renew the licence in 1923 so, presumably, it closed soon afterwards. Numbered 36 Winchcombe Street in the1919 Kellys directory.
Landlords at the Mount Pleasant Inn include:
1870 James Harris
1878 J. Thomas
1883,1891 John George Dyer
1902 Frank Salmon
1903,1906 Daniel Cove
1919 Roy B. Smith