Malakoff was a Russian fortress that was captured and destroyed by the Allies during the Crimean War. Unusually there were two pubs bearing the name in Stroud – the other being the Malakoff Inn in Westward Road, Ebley (also selling Godsells beer).
During the tenure of Ken and Mabel Baxter a family room was added to the side of the pub. It was constructed entirely of wood and became known locally as ‘Noah’s Ark’. The building is now in residential use and is called the Old Malakoff Inn.
Map Reference: SO 860037
Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1891: £15.0s.0d
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud
Rateable value in 1903: £15.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Malakoff Inn include:
1876 Joseph Newton
1891 David Chambers
1902 William Camm
1903,1906 Mrs Annie Goodrope
1919,1927 William S. Squires
1939 Walter K.V. Baxter
1950’s? Ken and Mabel Baxter
1952 (April) – 1956 George Wesley Bird and his wife Violet Elsie Bird (nee Guest). George’s brother Harold Bird was the licensee of the Foresters Arms in Russell Street, Stroud during the Second World War up until the late 1950’s. George and Violet had a daughter named Juanita, who everyone knew as June.