Oldcroft is a small village situated between Yorkley and Viney Hill, north-east of Lydney. In 1861 the Royal Forester was owned and run by the Kear family. William Kear, who is also described as an innkeeper and haulier in 1861, was helped by his wife Eliza who was described as ‘attending on the inn.’ By the 1871 census William Kear was still living on the premises although his occupation is described as a farmer ‘with 18 acres’ and a haulier.
The 1891 Gloucestershire licensing book has no mention of the Loyal Forester, suggesting that it closed soon after the 1861 reference.
The building is now a private house.