The Horse and Groom was Tayler’s Cotswold Brewery’s tap house situated close to the brewery gates in the West End. The Horse and Groom was at one time a monks rest-house at a midway point between Oxford and Gloucester.
The booklet, ‘Gloucestershire Inns’, published in 1924, gave details that ‘It contains an old chapel, known as the Guggle and interesting cellars ‘and whoever is privileged to peep into these cellars is forced to believe that however spiritually minded the monks may have been they were not altogether unmindful of the pleasures of the table.”
Owner in 1891: Tayler’s Cotswold Brewery, Northleach
Rateable value in 1891: £10.8s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse
Owner in 1903: Tayler’s Cotswold Brewery, Northleach
Rateable value in 1903: £12.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
Landlords at the Horse & Groom include:
1891 Charles Gillett
1903 Mary Jane Gasher