The Greyhound was directly opposite Cook’s Tetbury Brewery and served as their tap house. The Greyhound is still trading although the days of Cook’s Tetbury Ales are long forgotten. The exterior of the pub would be still recognisable to Messrs Cook except that the old stable entrance has been partitioned into a glazed doorway. The old Tetbury Brewery can still be seen across the road which has now converted into luxury apartments.
The Greyhound is the only ‘local’s pub’ left in the town and in 2003 an advertisement for the pub said that it had ‘the only dartboard in Tetbury’.
In October 1979 a youth attacked the Greyhound by hurling two home-made Molotov cocktails made from paint brush cleaner through a window. The unprovoked incendiary attack set fire to a utility room, damaging part of the windows, floor and ceiling. A passer-by raised the alarm and the fire was tackled with buckets of water before the fire crews arrived at the scene. The landlord thought that the attacker could have been influenced by a film on television shown a few hours before the incident which apparently gave instructions how incendiaries were made.
Owner in 1891: Messrs N. &W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1891: £17.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Messrs N. &W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery
Rateable value in 1903: £20.15s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Greyhound Inn include:
1830 William Tanner
1844 Joseph Giles
1850-1885 William White (born 19.10.1819) (was later a farmer at Hilsome Farm)
1885 Mrs James Sweeney
1891 John Philpot
1902,1903,1906,1927 Edward Boulton
1939 Gilbert Charles Merrett
1962 Mrs Merrett
1979 Douglas Newman
2002 – Feb 2008 Tracey Smith