M.L. Jordan was the owner of the George Inn in 1891. The licensed beer house was free from brewery tie.  The annual rateable value in 1891 and 1903 was £18.0s.0d. and ‘time, gentleman please’ was called each night at 10 pm.

In the 1903 licensing book the ownership of the George Inn is documented as the Rock Brewery. Therein lies a bit of a mystery. Where was the Rock Brewery? There was a Rock Brewery in Aberdare, South Wales, who had nineteen tied houses in their pub estate. The logistics of transporting their beer across the Welsh Valleys into the depths of the Forest of Dean to an isolated pub seem to make no economic sense. There are vague references to a Rock Brewery at the New Inn in Waterley Bottom near Dursley. The Victoria Inn in St Pauls Road in Cheltenham also brewed their beer on the premises, sometimes referred to as the Rock Brewery. But why should small-scale ‘home brew’d’ pubs in either Waterley Bottom or Cheltenham want to own a pub that was miles away in the Forest of Dean?

The George later passed into the ownership of Arnold Perrett’s Wickwar Brewery and, in 1937, it was acquired by the Cheltenham Original Brewery.

The address given in the 1939 Kelly’s Directory is 178 Ruspidge Road. The location of the George was a few yards to the south of the New Inn (170 Ruspidge Road). This area is now a vacant one-acre development site.

Landlords at the George Inn include:

1891 George Evans

1902,1903 John Henry Jones (beer retailer in 1902)

1939 David Jesse Glover

Share this Page: