Stroat is a small hamlet about three miles to the north east of Chepstow on the A48. The pub, opposite Stroat House, was also known as both the George and the Stroat Inn. When known as the George in 1744 it was also the meeting place of the Tidenham manor court.
John Pullen Rymer was the owner of the Stroat Inn in 1891. It was an ale house but only had a six-day licence, so presumably it was closed on Sundays. The annual rateable value was £16.5s.0d. The 1903 licensing book does not record the George & Dragon indicating that it had closed by then.
Although this has to be confirmed, the detached dwelling on the corner of Rosemary Lane and the Chepstow Road may have once been the village pub.
1851,1856 Joseph Stephens (aged 35 in 1851 census)
1876 Abraham Turner
1885 Walter Lewis
1891 James Lewis. (Stroat Inn)
1892 Mrs Lewis (listed as innkeeper, Stroat. No establishment specified)
1902 James Lewis