The Foresters Arms was a sandstone-built building on the ‘High Street facing Bream Road.  The Feathers Hotel was nearby.

The Gloucestershire licensing book of 1891 give the owner of the Foresters Arms as the ‘representatives of the late Joseph Taylor’. He also owned the Queens Head in the High Street. The Foresters Arms had traded as a free house with Joseph John Allway as the occupying landlord. The passing of Joseph Taylor and the subsequent sale of the Foresters Arms provided the opportunity for the ever expanding Wickwar Brewery to secure another outlet for their beers in the Forest of Dean. Arnold, Perrett & Co. Ltd, were the owners in 1903. The annual rateable value of the beer house was £25.15s.0d., and closing time was at 11 pm.

After the Foresters Arms served ‘last orders’ for the last time the building became DRJ Electronics, agents for Hitachi TV and Radio.

Landlords at the Foresters Arms include:

1891 Joseph John Allway

1903 David Camm

1939 Sidney Ralph Carpenter

Share this Page: