53 Gloucester Street in 1919 directory. The license for the Duke of York was extinguished in September 1927. However, Cirencester Licensing Session in 1926 had remarked that the structure was fair and the trade was very good. They also stated that police supervision was easy and the management was good. There were seven other licensed houses within a radius of 269 yards. The Cirencester Magistrates decided not to renew the licence because it was being frequented by tramps from the lodging house opposite – ‘not a very desirable class of customer’. Mrs Jane Glass, wife of the licensee Jonah Glass who had held the licence for twenty-three years, stated that there had been no complaint with the management and that the inn was largely used as an outdoor house. It was sold in 1936 for £444.
It is now a family home with nothing to indicate that it was once a public house. It was put on the market for £159,995
Owner in 1891: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1891: £11.5s.0d.
Type of license in 1891: Alehouse
Owner in 1903: Cirencester Brewery
Rateable Value in 1903: £11.5s.0d.
Type of license in 1903: Alehouse
Closing time in 1903: 11pm
Landlords at the Duke of York include:
1820 Maurice Paish
1830 Robert Telling (Duke of York Tavern)
1840 Charles Paish
1856 J. Bridges
1871 Thomas Lapper
1885,1902 Henry Harris
1903,1927 Jonah Glass