The Double Gloucester, on the main road from Gloucester to Cheltenham, opened on 15th December 1937 by the Stroud Brewery Company. It was named the Double Gloucester to perpetuate the name of one of the most famous products in the county – Double Gloucester Cheese. The pub was built on the site of a grand, red brick Victorian house called Colebridge House.

March 1949
Courtesy Peckhams of Stroud archives.

The Double Gloucester has closed and the building is now in residential use.

Landlords:

1937,1949 Arthur Malcolm Humphrey

1957 Albert Rt. Payne

2001 Samantha Green (manager)

2006 James Green

2008 (April) Chris Epps and Lee Cox

Share this Page: