The Crown Hotel, near to the Town Hall, closed in 1912. The original building was demolished in 1979, rebuilt as Crown House and afterwards used as offices.

Wotton-Under-Edge Market Place - Old Photo

Owner in 1891: Market lands of Wotton under Edge (free from brewery tie)

Rateable Value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Messrs N. & W. Cook, Tetbury Brewery

Rateable Value in 1903: £13.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Crown Hotel include:

1703-1730 Charles Wallington

1721,1725 John Wallington

1731-1744 Anthony Barnes

1795-1812 Samuel Rose

1820,1823 Nathaniel Wiles

1830 William Anderson

1842,1849 Francis Edney

1856 J. Weeks

1863 Richard Wiles

1875 Lease secured by Messrs. Arnold, brewers, Wickwar

1885 E. Marshall (Mrs)

1889,1891,1897 Richard Bowen

1902 Ann Bowen (Miss)

1903,1906 Charles Edward Taylor

1910 Francis Emerson

1912 –Herbert W. Abbott

Share this Page: