Following the demolition of a malt house in 1815, a pleasant block of stone built buildings were erected on the north side of the High Street where the electrical goods shop of R. Lewis & Co. now stands. (45 High Street, GL5 1AN). 44, High Street in 1902/1939.

These premises incorporated a large public room which was converted into a Corn Exchange in 1861. The name was also given to a new public house sited in Exchange Buildings, which may have replaced the former White Hart.

The last licensee, Reg Boobyer, left in 1959 before the site was redeveloped. The inn and the adjoining shop were sold by the Stroud Brewery for £4,000. Demolished in the 1970’s.

Licensing Details:

Owner in 1891: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Rateable value in 1891: £16.10s.0d.

Type of licence in 1891: Alehouse

Owner in 1903: Godsell & Sons, Salmon Springs Brewery, Stroud

Rateable value in 1903: £42.0s.0d.

Type of licence in 1903: Alehouse

Closing time in 1903: 11pm

Landlords at the Corn Exchange Hotel include:

1885 Mrs Ann West

1891 Henry Thomas Andrews

1902 Charles Barnes (Cashier to Godsell’s Brewery)

1903 Jane Elizabeth Watton

1906 Ernest P. Grant

1919,1927 William Henry Terrett

1939 Harry William Sarge

1956/57 Alfred Smith

1959 Reg Boobyer

? George and Iris Jameson (moved to Golden Fleece, Nelson Street)

Share this Page: