The Chequers Inn was located at 18 Church Street, opposite the Royal Hop Pole Hotel. The details are a little sketchy but it seems that the Chequers had a courtyard where performing travelling theatres performed in the middle years of the 19th century. Access to the Chequers Inn may have been from Swilgate Road to the rear.
The inn is not mentioned in the 1891 or 1903 licensing records, presumably closing c.1869. To confuse matters there may have been another Chequers Inn operating at 131 High Street next to the Wheatsheaf Inn c.1800.
Landlords of either the Chequers in Church Street or the High Street include:
1830 George Gardiner (also listed as a stone and marble mason)
1856 H. Groves
1868,1869 William Dossett