The 1891 and 1903 petty sessional divisional records refer to an unnamed beerhouse in Shipton Moyne with off sales only. The premises was also the village stores and post office and was locally known as ‘the Ale House’. It was purchased by the Stroud Brewery from the Estcourt estate in 1924 and subsequently gained a full licence. The unusual name comes from the Victorian novel ‘Handley Cross’ by Surtess, which recalls the tales of John Jorrocks, a sporting grocer. Apparently, Stroud Brewery wanted to call the inn the Escourt Arms but the proposed name was met with disapproval from the local squire.
The pub was originally an off-licence and Post Office and belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It became the village pub in 1926 when it was bought by the Stroud Brewery and Esme Ball’s father, Arthur Budd, took over. [detail from the Citizen newspaper 22.11.84)]
In November 1984 Harold Ball and his wife Esme handed over the running of the Cat & Custard Pot to their daughter Valerie and her husband Ken. #
The Cat and Custard Pot was bought from Whitbread in 1989 by landlord, Ken Gray.
This page will be updated with additional information.
Map Reference: ST 890895
Owner in 1891: Reverend R.H.B. Estcourt (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1891: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1891: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Owner in 1903: George T.J. Sotheron Estcourt (free from brewery tie)
Rateable value in 1903: £12.0s.0d.
Type of licence in 1903: Beerhouse (off sales only)
Closing time in 1903: 10pm
1891 Charles Jeffrey
1903 Sarah Jeffrey
1924 Mrs Jeffrey
1926 Mr and Mrs Arthur Budd
1954-1984 Harold and Esme Ball
1982,2006 Ken and Val Gray